The drip rig mods continue….

My splash photography has been a bit of a journey… starting off with a hole in a bag (Fun with macro), advancing through to the HiViz controller setup (Random post from nowhere!) and now with the completion of my new Arduino based controller (Drop Controller DIY)…

The rig itself has gone through a few iterations too and one thing I really wanted to be able to do is use more than one valve…

I have had three valves for a while, I set them up at the end of last year to try out…
The drip rig mods continue....

However it was soon evident that getting the results was going to be even harder with the limitations of the rig… the way I was mounting the valves made it difficult to get the fine adjustment I needed to get all valves in sync
The drip rig mods continue....

…this was compounded by limitations of the HiViz controller… while it can fire up to three valves it can only apply the timing settings globally… this means that each valve has to be precisely positioned to allow for variables between them such as reaction times across the valve solenoid windings etc… it only takes a millisecond or two to make a difference between the valves dropping precisely at the same time for example…

This then prompted me to research a little more and thats when I came across Martyn’s Arduino based drop controller project which gives me individual control of up to 9 valves and lots of ideas for improving the rig…

To give me a bit more control over the valve positioning I tried an idea I had seen to use tripod ball heads… I found some suitably sized and cheap (£7 for two) ball heads and used some parts I had kicking about from the cheap ‘L’ brackets I bought to support the valves and reservoirs…

The standard screw thread for tripods etc is 1/4-20 UNC… I was going to weld some suitable nuts to a bit of plate to make the mount for the valve but I modified some mounting screws from the ‘L’ brackets instead as I had these to hand…
The drip rig mods continue....

Screwed these to the back of the valve so that I then screw the ball head on…
The drip rig mods continue....

Offered them up to the rig…
The drip rig mods continue....

The drip rig mods continue....

Sorted…

During drip week one issue I had was drop inconsistency when using the thicker fluids… I decided that I need to do some flow viscosity testing so that I could nail the water mix formula… that will come later but during my research I stumbled across an interesting page regarding water drops and valves https://www.scantips.com/drops/stc/

Something I had not considered was to tune the rig for a perfect drop as I was getting decent enough results but did open my eyes to the physics of it and is something I plan to play with during my testing later…

Another thing I decided to try off the back of the inconsistency issue was to go over to brass nozzles (ones I have been using are nylon)… this was partly down to various sites suggesting the brass nozzles give more consistent results… I also decided to upsize the feed tube from 6mm ID to 12mm ID… that was all ordered up prior to reading the scan tips page which suggests too much pressure is a bad thing… after reading that I decided to go ahead with it anyway and see how it goes as the tests were on plain water…

The theory is to ensure that the fluid going in isn’t flow limited…

The drip rig mods continue....

I used the 6mm ID tube for the mariotte bottle vent tube instead of the 4mm ID silicon tube I had used previously
The drip rig mods continue....

And the valve in its current configuration… I tweaked the setup a little to make it more secure
The drip rig mods continue....

Hopefully this should be fine for flow…
The drip rig mods continue....

It should also provide more pressure which based on the scan tips testing is not necessarily a good thing but hoping this will balance out with the thicker fluid… if not then I will look to fit an irrigation valve inline as this should let me control flow and as a consequence the flow pressure to fine tune the drops…

Will make a start on the viscosity testing next and then play about with drop formation to see if I can get them somewhere handy to the decent drops shown in the scan tips testing

<tuffty/>

This entry was posted in Liquid Drip Art, Macro, Photography and tagged , .

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*