Progress with the S3

So a couple of months on from breaking the car (The joys of modifying cars…) and she up and running again…

I stripped the replacement box to check it was all ok…
Progress with the S3

…then cleaned it all up…
Progress with the S3

I also modded the selector forks using a 12.9 grade M8 bolt as they have a habit of popping the rivets…
Progress with the S3

Progress with the S3

When I came to change the gearbox I was quite surprised how many bits the transfer box was in while still being attached to the car!…
Progress with the S3

I painted the gearbox before fitting (obviously)
Progress with the S3

Sadly the transfer box developed a leak through the only seal I hadn’t changed…
Progress with the S3

Managed to grab ramp time a few weeks later to replace the (rather expensive) seal…
Progress with the S3

Progress with the S3

Next job was to replace the intank pump (some 17yrs vintage!)
Progress with the S3

Progress with the S3

New pump fitted into the OE fuel pump basket…
Progress with the S3

Quick bit of logging suggested that the pressure is much better now so started to play with the boost maps…

Main high boost map ended up like this… WOT boost is fine and don’t need to touch that…
Progress with the S3

…played around in the lower TPS regions to pep the response up a bit…
Progress with the S3

Initial drive felt good but after a bit of time living with it I found it a little too eager on part throttle higher up the rev range and had a tendency to accelerate a little too hard for the given pedal input so tweaked it back a back…
Progress with the S3

This felt much nicer so will leave it there for now…

I also setup a lower boost map just because…
Progress with the S3

This should feel as spritely as the high boost map but with a more road friendly 1.5bar of boost..

The logging this ECU does is amazing but the logging view can be a little ‘busy’ so I exported the log data and charted it in Excel to make it a little easier to read..

Plotted fuel pressure vs boost pressure (absolute pressure in this case)
Progress with the S3

Bit of a wobble at around 7.4k rpm… so plotted AFR and IDC (injector duty cycle) to see if the wobble was reflected there at all…
Progress with the S3
AFR looked ok… nothing out of the ordinary there…

IDC jumped up a little though…
Progress with the S3

…at just over 90% it looks a little maxed out tbh so I think I may try a 4br FPR in to boost the fuel supply and keep an eye on the rail pressure to see if the DA31 inline pump (044 copy) is starting to die on me… I also need to upgrade the fuel lines from the DA31 to -6 hose from as I am still using the factory lines… I suspect I am on the limit of flow capacity there so some overhead would be useful…

Thankfully the Ignitron ECU has great protection modes built in…
Progress with the S3

…not that I am hoping to ever use it but its nice to know that its there…

Actually enjoying driving the car again which for the 18months before I changed from stock management to the Ignitron I couldn’t hand to heart say I was…

<tuffty/>

This entry was posted in Car, Modding, Rambling and tagged , , .

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*